Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thou Shalt Learn to Laugh It Off

Remember that scene from Mary Poppins where they all laugh their way up to the ceiling?

BRODY: I don't see what's so funny.

This wasn't going to be anything like that.

I was trying to teach Brody to laugh more things off instead of getting so worked up about them.

He told me that his ex-boyfriend (who he broke up with five years ago) has a new boyfriend, and it's very upsetting to him.

ME: Brody, it's been five years. Get over it. Don't pull a Jolie.
BRODY: You mean an Aniston?
ME: Let's not discuss religion, politics, and Jen versus Angelina, okay?
BRODY: Fine.
ME: The point is--you need to just let things go, and laughing about them is the best way.
BRODY: The one who got away got a new guy. What's so funny about that?
ME: The new guy is named Dervell, right?
BRODY: Yeah.
ME: That's pretty damn funny.

He thought about it for a second.

BRODY: Okay, maybe you have a point, but I still don't see how I'm going to condition myself to think that.

That was when I threw water on him.

He looked shocked.

ME: Now laugh.
BRODY: I'm going to kill you.
ME: Okay, but laugh first.
BRODY: WHY?!?
ME: Because if you think about it--
BRODY: I'M THINKING ABOUT IT!
ME: --or if you don't think about it, it's funny.

The water was still dripping off his face into his lap, when he started to giggle. You can tell he didn't want to, but nevertheless--

BRODY: You're an ass.
ME: At least you're laughing.

I handed him a glass of water.

ME: Here, go to town.

He threw the water at me.

I managed to splash some back at him.

We were both howling.

ME: See? It's possible, Brody.
BRODY: Yeah, I guess. Hahaha...
ME: Hahaha...
BRODY: Dervell is SUCH a stupid name!
ME: Hahaha!
BRODY: Plus, I'm still sleeping with my ex, so who's really getting screwed over here?
ME: Haha--wait, what?

Back to square one.

No comments:

Post a Comment